Dear Leah Renee,
I always buy corn chips, but are they pretty easy to make at home? ~Maria, CA
Yes! Corn chips are super easy to make at home–no deep-fryer needed! They’re a lot healthier and easy to make organic. It saves a little money, too. The average bag of chips, organic, are around $4-$5! depending on the size. Nearly all of them are fried (unless it specifically says baked). I love making corn chips at home just for the custom flavoring alone! You can add any herbs and spices you like to make it suitable to your taste. Below is the one I like, but the options are endless so you choose what’s on there!
- Organic corn tortillas
- 1 Lime
- Spices – my favorites are: Mrs. Dash Salt-Free Fiesta Lime & cayenne pepper
- Sea Salt
- Slice the tortillas into halves, then triangles. I usually stack about 3 at a time so I’m not repeating this action too much. You can get about 4 triangles per half.
- Place all sliced triangles into a medium bowl, and add the juice of 1 lime, the spices, and sea salt to taste. You can be pretty generous with it. Using your hands mix it all together, making sure all of the triangles are coated by the mixture.
- Transfer it all onto parchment paper or foil on a baking sheet, and bake at 400 degrees F for about 30 minutes, or until they’re just a little browned and look crispy. Make sure the triangles aren’t overlapping, unless you don’t mind that each one isn’t evenly crisp! Check in between and turn for even browning.
- Done! Let them cool a little and grab some guac–you’re in for a tasty treat!
What are your favorite flavors? What do you like to accompany them with? I love this healthy homemade salsa!