I love easy, and when I want a sweet treat I want it fast! Therefore, no bake is the best! I scoured my pantry for ingredients. It came to mind I had yet to make a dessert using garbanzo beans (aka chickpea’s). I often enjoy experimenting to find healthier versions of not-so-healthy sweets, like my favorite brownie recipe.
I’m a fan of not-so-healthy sweets too. I realize there are ingredients that aren’t good for me, but….I’m NEVER going to entirely give up peanut (…or peanut butter… or mint) M&M’s. My eating habits are healthy 95% of the time–I will save the 5% for those once in a blue moon! I have to say I really liked these little dough bites. I’m going to throw out a few tips though from my own experience.
- These are definitely best as bite-sized balls! I tried to make cookies out of them–bad idea! They’re too crumbly and are really best as little poppers!
- To make dairy free and/or vegan, substitute conventional chocolate for a dairy free vegan version (like Enjoy Life chocolate chips). I love chocolate too much and until the day I cannot tolerate dairy, chocolate will always be involved. These are still grain free and gluten free using conventional chocolate chips.
- I used maple syrup instead of honey, but either one works.
- The recipe calls for a high speed blender. I do have a Vitamix but knowing how gooey they’d get I actually used my hand blender.
- If you prefer to just eat it as cookie dough–I highly recommend! I only made half the batch and saved the rest, I liked it that way even more.
- You can use almond butter or other types in place of peanut butter, just make sure it’s all natural and organic when possible (I used peanut butter).
- 1 can organic chickpeas (garbanzo beans), well-rinsed and patted dry with a paper towel
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup 100% maple syrup
- ½ cup chocolate chips (use vegan and dairy-free chocolate chips, if needed)
- Using a high speed blender or food processor, add all ingredients except chocolate chips, and blend until smooth. Transfer to a medium size bowl and fold in chocolate chips. Eat out of the bowl like cookie dough, or get your fingers a little wet (so it doesn't stick) and form into small balls and refrigerate! Enjoy at any and all times.
- On a not-so-healthy note…this can be added to vanilla ice cream. Just saying.