You may have seen a trend in my posts lately. I’m all about the quick and easy meals and snacks since having my little one. It’s so important to stay healthy and energized, and as you know from my post on protein bars, I won’t be snacking or filling up on those all day! That’s why I decided to make some matcha hemp energy balls. Matcha is like putting premium fuel in your tank. Helloooo energy! Also a great pre or post workout snack!
This recipe is a precursor to an upcoming post on protein powders. I’ve had a lot of emails lately from pregnant and nursing mothers asking whether or not they’re safe to have pre and postnatal. I will dish the dirt! Stay tuned!
In the meantime, here’s why keeping these energy balls readily available in your fridge will keep you feeling filled and fueled up for your day.
- Matcha is super high in antioxidants
- Hemp seeds have a ton of potassium, contains the essential fatty acids we need to get from food, and are a complete protein as they have every essential amino acid. It’s also high in fiber and omega-3 and 6. OK so basically hemp is amazing.
- Nut and seed butters have the heathy kind of fats we need to fill us up, not out!
- Oats have the B vitamins we need for energy, fiber to keep us feeling full and keep things “moving along” properly, and helps stabilize blood sugar levels. No thanks to those nasty sugar spike and slumps!
- Dates provide a good dose of magnesium, potassium, and fiber. They’re also great for pregnant women; some studies show if consumed regularly in the last 4 weeks it can potentially decrease chances of an induction and augmentation of labor.
- Honey is just good. It never goes bad. It’s in the bible. The raw honey I used was from South Africa (you do not need to use African honey!). Yes, I am that person that manages to find a farmers market while vacationing in South Africa and brings home their local honey.
- 2 TB matcha powder
- 1/4 cup chopped dates, packed (about 7 dates)
- 1 cup nut or seed butter**
- 1/3 cup oats
- 2-3 TB raw honey or brown rice syrup**
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 TB hemp hearts/seeds
- Combine all ingredients except the hemp hearts in a food processor. Pulse until all ingredients have formed together nicely, it will look chunky but well combined.
- Form into small balls and roll delicately in hemp hearts.
- Store in the fridge or freezer to enjoy anytime!
- **For vegan use brown rice syrup. Depending how sweet you want it, adjust tablespoons accordingly. I used 2.
- **I combined both almond & peanut butters.