I love chips. And I love dip. The two together are a match made in heaven. And there are endless combinations, really. Now, I know that with unhealthy foods the thought is go big or go home, why bother trying to make them healthier? I have to disagree. Sure, sometimes there is really no alternative (nor do you want there to be!) when it comes to your fave indulgences which every now and again is cool. But with chips, and dips, there is a HUGE range to choose from (and make yourself!), and because of that it’s not too difficult to health-ify your snack time (or in my case, just have it for dinner sometimes!). Plus, they’re a little more common place so better to have the healthier versions more readily available, without skimping on taste!
I was definitely in a chip-n-dip mood the other night but did not have anything other than hummus (I did not feel like hummus), and no avocados to make guacamole (my usual go-to). But I did have some greek yogurt. And I had a bag of baby kale. I’ve always got spices on hand so I thought I could whip up a spinach-type dip!
Here are some pics of the process, and the recipe is below. I have also included a little showcase of all my favorite, gluten free, non GMO, organic chips in which you can enjoy this tasty dip with! Be careful. They’re all super addicting. *Guilty*
My FAVORITE chips for dipping are:
3. Trader Joe’s Organic Corn Rounds (found at your local Trader Joe’s)
5. Garden of Eatin’ Guacamole Tortilla Chips (yes, this company knows how to make good chips!)
- 1 1/2 cups organic Greek yogurt
- 1 cup cooked organic kale, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped or shredded carrots (red pepper also good!)
- 1 small can water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 Tbls mixed seasoning - I used Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute, but vegetable soup mix (dry) or other blends of garlic powder, onion powder, and italian seasonings work well too!
- Salt to taste
- Steam kale in a little water for a few minutes, until wilted. Drain. Transfer to cutting board. Chop kale, carrots, and water chestnuts and add them to a medium size bowl with the yogurt. Mix together and enjoy!!!