Hummus is one of those foods that’s about as easy to make as it is to pick up at the grocery store. If you keep chickpeas (garbanzo beans) stocked in the pantry, you’re halfway there. This recipe can take just minutes to whip up and keep in the fridge for the week. Not only is it super tasty, but hummus is good for you too! Naturally gluten free, chickpeas are loaded with fiber and a great source of folate which aids in the production of red blood cells, helping to prevent anemia and osteoporosis. Chickpeas are super versatile too, which makes it easier to work them into your diet. They can be used to make this delicious dessert recipe or curb salty cravings with this crunchy recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 tsp tahini
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 TB broth or water
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt, I like pink Himalayan sea salt
- If you are using canned chickpeas, rinse and drain first. Place all ingredients into your food processor or high speed blender until smooth. You may need to stop the machine and, using a rubber spatula, mix in any that stuck to the sides. Add liquid to desired creaminess.
- For extra creamy hummus, remove the skin from the chickpea first.
- You can added roasted pepper, pine nuts, or anything else to the hummus for a different flavor!
What’s your favorite way to enjoy hummus?