Up until Evie started eating solid foods, it had been a looooong time since I last ate Cheerios. I loved Honey Nut Cheerios, but between wizening up on health and becoming gluten intolerant, I cut them out of my diet completely. I was so happy to see Cheerios became gluten free, and I didn’t mind getting a box of plain Cheerios for Evie to snack on.
Honestly, these remind me of the healthified rice crispy treats I made last year. I originally called these cheerios breakfast bars until I realized they’re more of a treat than breakfast! So maybe Cheerios snack bars? All I know is whenever you choose to eat them I guarantee they’ll be delicious! There’s even a couple superfoods in there too.
On another note I feel super guilty for not posting so many yummy recipes I’ve made lately. I tell ya, I don’t know how moms blog with multiple kids and all the other tasks needed to get done!!! During Evie’s nap times I’m running around the house putting up loads of laundry, folding, cleaning up toys, organizing cupboards and closets, or prepping food for her next meal(s) and/or for the family. There’s always something. Or maybe, just maybe I get a moment where I actually just kick my feet up and lay on the couch and close my eyes. Which is so wonderful. Did I mention a shower? Sometimes I shower. I know, right?
Anyway this recipe can totally be made your very own. I won’t judge what kind of sweetener you use or what kind of nut or seed butter. Or just butter. Kidding I don’t think that would work. You could try. Just make sure you have some parchment paper and a 9×9 square pan.
- 4 cups plain Cheerios
- 1 cup peanut butter*
- 3/4 c honey**
- 2 tsp ground flaxseeds
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- Line an 9 x 9 inch pan with parchment paper (or lightly grease)
- Combine peanut butter & honey in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Heat until mixture just starts to simmer, about 2-3 minutes, stirring.
- Remove from heat and stir until mixture is well combined. Let it cool down. Add in chia and flax seeds to the peanut butter & honey mixture.
- Place cereal into bowl.
- Fold in the PB, honey and seeds mix until evenly coated. Pour mixture into prepared pan, cover with parchment, and press firmly.
- Note: I used a spatula to press the Cheerio mixture down firmly. A roller could also work. Chill in the refrigerator for a min of 1 hour.
- Cut into squares or longer "bars" and serve.
- *Use any nut or seed butter you like, crunchy or creamy!
- **Brown rice syrup is a great alternative to honey if you prefer or to make vegan. I'm sure maple syrup will also work in its place!
- Make with or without your kids - I'm sure they'd love to help!