Dear Leah Renee,
I want to make sure I’m getting enough nutrients each day, but I don’t feel like I can eat enough fruits and vegetables to achieve that. I often forget to take my multivitamin! Do you have any tips to getting my greens?! Thanks! ~Jess, New Orleans, LA
Achieving our quota of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and super greens can be difficult! We are busy people and while we consider eating healthy a priority (how are we going to stay busy if we don’t have energy to do it?!), working in our 2 & 5 of fruit & veggie servings a day starts to take the backseat to a demanding schedule. Time, money, and taste all play into the decisions we make every day.
We are lucky to have so many products on the market that provide a daily dose of multivitamins yet make it easy enough to add it to our meals. It can be difficult to distinguish the good products from ones that are not so good. I was happy to find Barlean’s at the Expo West trade show. Their powders are delicious! It makes making a smoothie in the morning that much more exciting.
- It tastes uh-mazing
- It is loaded with nutrients. It contains an antioxidant blend, a green fruits and vegetables blend including pomegranate powder extract, acai powder, turmeric root powder (huge fan of this anti-inflammatory!), barley grass juice powder, and spirulina powder to name a few.
- The is fiber from lecithin (not soy!–the good stuff!), and apple pectin (which helps remind our body when we’re hungry and full).
- Prebiotics, Probiotics, and Enzymes–it’s all there
- It contains only 25 calories per scoop (which is one serving)
- Sweetened only with stevia powder, so it contains zero sugar and will not spike insulin levels
- Barlean’s is 100% guaranteed to be both all-organic and non-GMO
- The Chocolate Silk Greens is seriously a chocoholics dream (trust me, I’ve been one my whole life) minus all the fat, calories, and sugar!
How to enjoy a serving of this superfood powder:
- Homemade Ice Cream
- Coffee Mocha
- Chocolate Milk (like almond, coconut, you choose)
- Simply mixed with water
- Chocolate Mousse
Don’t you want to try some now?! Here are some recipes to get you started:
- 2 frozen bananas
- 3 TB Barleans Chocolate Silk Greens
- 1-2 TB milk of choice (I like almond)
- In a food processor (or vitamix), blend all of the ingredients until smooth.
- For a frozen treat like the picture shown, place in freezer a few hours to harden.
- For a soft serve, fro-yo like texture, consume right away!
- Add any toppings you like! I love granola, cacao nibs, and goji berries.
- For a nice flavor you can also add a dash of cinnamon in the blending process.
- 1 cup milk of choice (I use unsweetened vanilla almond)
- 1 scoop Barlean's Organic Greens Powder
- 1 cup organic frozen spinach
- 1 TB almond butter
- 1/2 or 1 ripe or frozen banana
- **1 scoop protein powder of choice (I use hemp)
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth.
- **protein powder optional. If not using, add another tablespoon of almond butter!
- Additions/toppings: sprinkle of cinnamon, stevia, granola, frozen blueberries, cacao nibs, crushed ice, honey, hemp hearts (shown in picture).
What’s your favorite way to get your greens and nutrients throughout the day?