Today I stole a recipe. I woke up, made the usual warm water with lemon (I’ve been doing this every day for seven years–at this point it’s a ritual), and checked Facebook (as you do). I feasted my eyes on something that looked so good, a post by the Food Babe. We’ll get to her in a second. I hadn’t eaten yet, and there’s staring me in the face were some delicious looking almond butter brownies. Lemon water in hand, I went into the kitchen to make them immediately. See, the Food Babe is completely trustworthy in my book. She proactively speaks out for the greater good, specifically against harmful ingredients such as toxic food coloring and genetically modified ingredients. She gets large corporations to change their act around and brings awareness to the public to make better, more informed decisions about what they’re putting in their body and the companies they’re supporting. So basically, she’s amazing. And so are the brownies she made which I felt the need to recreate myself.
As I made my way to the kitchen, I knew I did not have almond butter. My husband loves peanut butter, and every time I entertain the thought of buying organic almond butter at the store, I am deterred by the price. But I always have almonds on hand, so I decided to make some almond butter using my food processor for the recipe.
I placed 1/2 cups organic raw almonds into the food processor and let it do it’s thing (with the ‘s’ blade) for a few minutes. I added a little coconut oil and let it go some more until smooth. Viola! Almond butter! I could now continue with the recipe. Here’s how it goes:
- 1 cup almond butter
- 2 tbsp flaxseed + 3 tbsp water or 1 egg
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup of coconut palm sugar (or other sugar of choice)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a small dish (8×8 or 8×6) thorougly or line bottom of dish with parchment paper (parchment is best)
- Mix all ingredients except dark chocolate chips until smooth
- Fold in chocolate chunks and pour batter into pan
- Bake brownies until golden dark brown – about 25 mins
- Cool brownies for at least 10 mins before cutting
What are some of your favorite ways to enjoy almond butter?! Have you ever made your own? Do you like it better than peanut butter?